Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Introduction

I have been looking for a way to share information about treating children with autism. There is so much to know, and no two cases are alike. I read the journals, scour the Internet for information, talk with parents of children with autism and learn from my colleagues. I plan to write about what I read and hear. I hope that this blog attracts others who want to share what they know, too.

My chief area of interest is self regulation. This covers a lot of ground. Children with autism have difficulty managing very simple aspects of their lives. Sleeping, eating, food aversion, verbal output (and vocal tics), emotional and social behavior, seeking behaviors (vestibular, proprioceptive, tactile, mouthing inedible objects, perseveration on objects), sensory regulation & sensitivity (overt such as hearing, touch, vision, etc. and more subtle such as being in touch with their bodies and having a stable inner experience), modulation, hyperactivity, hypo-activity, and on and on. There is a lot to say here. I hope that you will join me in attempting to unravel the mysteries.

Who am I? I am an occupational therapist working in a pediatrics clinic. I have a master's degree in occupational therapy and have SIPT and Interactive Metronome certifications.

No comments: